28 Aug 2016

Tips & Tricks. Paint, Reducer & Masking Tape

Hello Lads!  Long a while!
Yeah, one year apart the last post.
I have got some experience in airbrush customising and want to share some tricks with you today. I used to spray my models with Tamiya paints with airbrush and paint Vallejo paints with brushes. The ground of these decisions was a chip thinner. NOVOL 850 or alcohol are work great with Tamiya and I'm happy with it. A tap water for Vallejo I happy here too. Spraying Vallejo paints reduced with tap water through 0.2mm airbrush nozzle is not the good idea for sure. If you tried doing this, you know what I mean. But Vallejo paint reduced with tap water applied on models with a brush was my choice.
I learned Createx brand recently. They are water based paints, reducers, candies, clears, its.  And I found that Createx 4012 reducer works great as with Tamiya, as with Vallejo. Have a look! These car seats painted with Vallejo through 0.15mm nozzle.
Easily! 
Createx colors are great for modelling. If you use nozzles 0.2mm or 0.15mm I recommend you Wicked Detail Colors. Any fine line paint job will be a piece of pie for you. 


In the second part of the post I want to speak about masking tape. My choice always was common automotive masking tape 23mm or insulating tape. I just cut it on required lines and pieces. It works not perfect, but it's quite cheap. I was not happy, but satisfied with result. Why not Tamiya masking tape? Too expensive. 
While working on customising projects I used Jtape (UK) Fine Line Masking Tapes (Orange Line). They are good enough for masking models too. And here some arithmetic. Price for 1.5mm 5meters coil of model masking tape is 2.06 GBP, and price for Jtape 1.5mm 55meters - 6 GBP. Accordingly the price for 1 meter model tape is 41 pence, and for automotive tape - only 11 pence. 

Please, don't take my post as commercial. I just share my experience and my own conclusions. 
Have a nice day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment